Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rejection

I've been rejected many, many times. I know people of all ages who have lost their job(s). You are not alone but you have to keep swimming. This is about keeping your head above the water and beating the odds. Stay busy enough so that you do not wallow in self-pity.

Job rejection comes in many forms: the no-response, formal snail-mail letters, emails, by phone, etc.. I have had potential employers explain exactly why certain candidates were ruled out and I've seen many form letters stating something like, "There was an overwhelming response and many well-qualified candidates..." But, I will tell you this: If you are rejected after an interview you should ask something like, "For future interviews, is there anything I could improve upon?" You never know if the person they decided to hire will work out with the organization. You may get a call back even after a rejection. You just never know.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good question to ask, but I'm so afraid of the answer! I've had so many interviews and rejections that I'm generally aware of where the interview went wrong, if something went wrong. The rest of the time my rejection has been due to a lack of experience. But...there are times I've been rejected and I just don't know why, even BEFORE I get to the interview. I suppose I should ask what I can improve upon if that's the case.

    It is good to realize though, that the person they hired may not work out. Slightly different situation, but I have a friend who left a job for a higher-paying longer-term position. She was let go in one week for not being a good fit! Luckily, the person who replaced her at her previous job didn't work out, so she was able to get her old job back. Fortunately, she kept in touch with people at her old job for networking purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe Doe: I've been in the same place. I have had interviews where I knew exactly where something went wrong. But, at least I can work on fixing that for the next interview. I have also been rejected from a lack of experience as well. It is hard to gain experience when you have no experience! What seems to be happening now is that people with a few years of work experience are getting entry-level jobs when they really should be in mid-level positions. This has happened to me multiple times.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete