Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I can be thankful even after 1 year of job searching

1 Year
My job search began in graduate school at the end of November 2008.
I finished graduate school in May 2009.
I was officially unemployed for 3.5 months and moved in with my parents.
I started this blog in September 2009.
I am currently underemployed as of September 2009 but thankful to have a job even if it is unrelated to my academic background.

Here are my top 10 tips FOR YOU (in no particular order) from my past year of job searching:

1. You cannot create your resume in 5 minutes. Spend some quality time with it.

2. If you're unemployed then you better do something productive with your time. Volunteer to make connections and gain work experience.

3. Remember, it is often about WHO you know more so than what you know. Tell everyone that you're looking for a job and what kind of job you're looking for.

4. Sign-up for lots of email alerts for jobs listed online. That's right. Fill up your inbox. Searching for a job is your job.

5. Don't be caught off guard when someone asks you what you're doing right now (while unemployed) or what type of job you're looking for. You have to sell yourself! The person asking may know someone who can help you!

6. Prepare for interview questions and plan out your interview attire ahead of time.

7. If you're looking for a retail or hourly job in the meantime then follow this advice.

8. Follow-up! Does someone have a lead for you on a job? Make sure you contact them ASAP!

9. Contact your references before listing them as a reference in an application.

10. DON'T GIVE UP! Jobs often turn up when you're least expecting it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment