Thursday, November 5, 2009

Networking

Are you still unemployed or underemployed? Don't be afraid to let people know that you are job searching but don't slam your unemployment/underemployment in their face by telling them your sob story. Here's an article from Wisebread with networking tips.

So, don't be caught unprepared when people ask what type of job you are looking for or what you're doing right now. Prepare your 15 second statement to sell yourself and your skills. You could say:

"Hi, my name is _____ and I'm looking for a job in my field but currently working at _______. I have experience in _______."

"Hi, my name is ____ and I'm looking for environmental education positions but currently volunteering at the nature center. In the past I have taught XYZ courses for young children...."

"Hello, my name is ______. I was the program coordinator for ABC corporation for 4 years. I'm looking for a position in _______ and would like to use my experience in ______ to become an asset to this organization."

Since I moved back to my hometown I have made connections with people through volunteering, while chatting with neighbors, and through church. Keep your eyes open for opportunities to meet new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment