Monday, November 23, 2009

Job Scraps: Doing the work nobody wants to do

This guest post was kindly provided by a recent jobless graduate. Thank you!

Jobless people can't be very picky about jobs when the times are tough and the unemployment rate continues to increase. Having a college or graduate degree no longer guarantees a position. It may even make you a less desirable candidate for part-time work since many companies may consider it risky to train you for a job when they know you are looking for better work and would leave ASAP if a better offer comes along.*

I worked seasonally for years on a maintenance crew at my high school. It was manual labor involving cleaning, painting, grounds keeping, and sometimes demolition and construction. The days were long and hard and I would often get in bed immediately after coming home from a day's work. There were no chances for promotions or bonuses and as a seasonal employee I was not eligible for any benefits.

I did this work because the money was solid, I was guaranteed 40 hours of work each week and enjoyed my co-workers. I still keep in touch with a few of them periodically which could help me out if I have to go back to work there in the future. It's hard to be picky when so many of us are begging for job scraps.

This doesn't mean you should give up on searching for a job within your specific field. Keep searching the web, continue filling out applications, and make new connections with people. Something may turn up when you least expect it or even right after you start your job. But, if it doesn't at least you have an income.

*This may or may not be the case. As your blogger I can say that I was successful in securing an hourly, part-time position at a bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment