Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Extra Cash

Last week I took a day off from The Bakery to work for my father. I was promised a sizable sum for a 10 hour job which involved "touching-up" chairs with varnish in a fine dining establishment. My day started at 4:15 am and ended at 6 pm. Even though the job was tedious and some of the restaurant employees were quite demeaning I'd say it was worth the money. (Note: I will never eat in that particular restaurant because the employees were total snobs and treated us like scum.)

Mowing lawns and babysitting are no longer for teenagers. I earned quite a lot of extra cash by babysitting through undergrad and graduate school. Do you have a knack for household things like cleaning, moving, organizing, sewing, repairing, etc.? Network with people you know in the community to see if anyone needs help. You never know who may pay you $$ to help put up a Christmas tree, repair kitchen cabinets, shuttle children, or take elderly people to the grocery store. You could say something like, "Hi Mrs. Such and Such. Yes, I hope you are doing well today. I'm still looking for a job in my field but I'm trying to earn a little extra cash by mowing lawns. Would you happen to know anyone who would be interested?"

No comments:

Post a Comment