Saturday, October 17, 2009

Health Insurance: Pre-existing conditions and risk pools

After I finished graduate school and was kicked off of my university (group) health plan I applied for individual insurance through several major companies. I have a pre-existing medical condition and was determined to be "medically ineligible" for any affordable health insurance. So, what do you do when you've finished school, are unemployed AND have a pre-existing medical condition? A friend of my mother's jokingly said I could either get pregnant (be a single mother and perhaps qualify for medicaid) or get married to someone who has health insurance. Geez. I am here to tell you that you may qualify for health insurance through a state risk pool. I'm not saying that all of these policies are good or even worthwhile. I wanted to provide the link (above) so that you may investigate your options if you fall into this category.

More health insurance posts here !

No comments:

Post a Comment